Less than a year ago, after the American Open, Tom Sroka was told he was no longer improving and was let go from a team he had been a long-time member of. Just a year before, in 2013, he was the +105kg American Open Champion. His last PR in the Snatch came in July of 2013, and he weighed 142kg/312# at the time.
In January of this year Tom and I began to work together partially to rebuild him as a Weightlifter, and partially to get him in better shape so he could compete on a pro exercise team. On Friday, now weighing 123kg/270#, Tom hit a new lifetime PR Snatch of 152kg/335#. He was, of course, alone in his garage when it happened.
Receiving this video was one of the absolute best moments of my coaching career.
1) 5X1 1 Paused Clean + 1 Paused Hang Clean + 1 Paused Hang Clean from Power Position (3 count pause at knee for first two, then in power position for third) – work to heavy but non-maximal complex for the day, rest as needed
2) 5X1 Push Press + 2 Push Jerks + 3 Split Jerks – work to heavy but non-maximal complex for the day, rest as needed
1a) 4X10 Strict TTB – rest 90 sec.
1b) 4X5 Strict HSPU + ME UB Kipping HSPU – after last strict rep (without getting off wall) perform ME UB Kipping HSPU, rest 90 sec.
1) 1X500M Row @ 90% – rest 1:1
2) 1X500M Row All Out – rest 1:1
3) 1X500M Row @ 90% – rest 1:1
4) 1X500M Row All Out – rest 1:1
5) 1X1000M Row @ same pace as #1